Saturday, August 3, 2013

Welcome to My Santa Carvings!



Hi there from Missouri!

It's been a few years since I've been able to do any serious wood carving.  Life just has a way of interrupting our plans sometimes.

I opened my Etsy shop in January of this year and I decided to start carving again so I could add some of them to my shop. My favorite thing to carve is Santa.  If you are a carver, you know how addicting that little guy can be to carve.  I also love to carve Christmas ornaments.

I decided to start this blog to hopefully get others interested in carving.  It's such a great hobby and it is soooooo relaxing.  Honestly, when you're carving, you can't think about anything else.  All of your worries go out the window.  Why?  Because you have a sharp knife in your hand and you want to keep all of your fingers!  :)  Carving really takes you away from all of the pressures in life.

Not only is carving a great stress reliever, it is also such a wonderful creative outlet.  Just imagine the feeling of holding a block of wood in your hand and turning it into something beautiful, or funny, or useful.

It's a great high! 

I'm a self taught carver and my way of carving may not be the way other carvers do it.  Actually, I'll bet there are just as many ways to carve as there are carvers.  There are tons of books and YouTube videos that will help you with the "how to" aspect of carving.  I'll put links here as I find them for you.

Here's a good one to start with:

Carving The Simple Standing Santa by Gene Messer.  Gene is a great teacher!

See how easy it is?  Seriously, if I can do it, anyone can.  :)

Here are a few of my latest Santa's.  I'll be carving some more this week and I'll take photos to show my progress as I carve and paint them and I hope it will inspire you to try your hand at carving. 


 
                                                                        Tipsy Santa


 
                                                Santa Ornament with a Big, Colorful Hat


 
                                             Traditional Santa Ornaments - Here and Here

Just think of all of the great Christmas gifts you could make for family and friends!  Are you getting inspired yet?

I'll add some WIP's later this next week so you can see how truly easy and fun this hobby can be. 

Who knows, maybe I'll even show you some of my ugly early Santa carvings?  I don't know though, some of my early carvings are pretty darn embarrassing.  LOL

Thanks so much for stopping by and I hope you come back soon!  ~ Debra (D. Back)

No comments:

Post a Comment