Sunday, August 4, 2013

What's On My Carving Bench???




Hi all! 

Thought I'd cut out some blanks while I wait for my new tools to arrive.  I ordered them Thursday because my old tools are in really sad shape.  Good tools are a must and make carving so much easier.  You don't have to spend a lot to get good quality tools either.  Actually, when I first got into carving, I started with a piece of wood and a pocketknife.  How many hobbies can you get into that cheap? 

I should get one of my packages of tools tomorrow (YAY!) and the other package should be here by the end of the week, I hope.  I can get back to some serious carving once I get my package tomorrow morning so I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve.  :)

So, what's going on in my shop?  Well, this is what's on my workbench waiting for me and my new tools.





 
 
 
Lol, ugly aren't they?  They aren't finished yet and they will be a lot cuter once I'm done with them. 
 
I cut the four blanks in the back of the pictures today and started on the other four carvings this past week before I decided to replace my tools.  I usually have a couple of carvings going at the same time so if I get bored with one, or unsure of one that I'm working on, I have another I can pick up and start carving without having to draw and cut a new piece. 
 
These are really just rough cut and need more work but I'll take more pics as I work on them so you can see how they turn out. 
 
The little carved Santa head is going to be an ornament and so is the little horse.  I created the sleeping Santa from a scrap that was pretty much in the same shape and the duck, well, it's just a duck.  :)
 
Hope you're having a great weekend, too.  Come on Monday!  I know, I know, but my tools are coming....   
 
~ Debra
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment